The injectors, which are responsible for injecting the fuel to mix with the air and are located in the intake manifold, as we know, suffer a wear due to use and accumulated dirt. They require, therefore, a maintenance that avoids the failure or a replacement in the case that they have worn out a lot and no longer fulfill their function. The mission of the injectors is to perform the induction of a small amount of fuel and to direct the jet so that the fuel is dispersed homogeneously throughout the combustion chamber, so the engine receives the proper amount.
There are facts that we should know in this matter:
- The fuel in the vehicles is not pure, it usually carries residues that, over time, remain in the filters. If these are not cleaned with the appropriate frequency (every hundred thousand kilometers the first time, and every fifty thousand the following ones), the waste passes to the injectors, which, being covered, stop working and, in the long run, the engine.
- The oil companies, especially the large ones, such as Repsol, Petronor, Shell, add cleaning additives (anti-carbon detergents and antibarnices) to all their fuels. Its objective is to eliminate the impurities that clog the tanks in tankers and pumps.
- The companies that lower the liter of fuel save the cleaning additives. In the long run, the continuous use of fuel without these fluids damages the injectors. If you want to save, it is better to alternate the use of cheaper fuel with another of better quality; the engine of your car will thank you.
- Periodic inspection of the fuel filter is a preventive habit to avoid having to clean the injectors.
- Bad driving damages the car’s engine; accelerate when starting, warm the car in cold, etc. They are unhealthy habits for our vehicle because they generate excessive deposits of coal.
Use additives or not for cleaning the injectors ?
Some drivers consider whether or not to add additives to the fuel tank. Experts advise the use of quality additives, such as prevention, to eliminate small waste in the event that long trips are not made with the vehicle. But dirty injectors will only be perfect with a thorough cleaning performed in a mechanical workshop.
The clogged injectors affect the normal mixture of air and fuel, which influences the combustion of the engine and causes lower engine power, higher fuel consumption and greater emission of polluting gases; Gas emissions from cars are related to the efficiency of engine combustion.
It is true that there are many cleaning fluids in the market; You have to inform yourself and be advised by someone who has tried them. In any case, it is not worth acquiring very cheap liquids; they hardly do anything.
We have already discussed in other post how to clean the injectors . The advantage of this method is that anyone can do it without having to take it to an auto mechanic and without disassembling any accessory for cleaning injectors.
The cleaning additives have certain drawbacks, since they run through the entire fuel system and, in their trajectory, remove all the contamination or residues that are inside the comburent lines.
In addition, being very powerful liquids, they are aggressive for the conduits; can damage the rubber gaskets that seal the injector
Types of liquid for cleaning injectors
There’re many brands on the market; check that it does not have Teflon among its components, as it ends up obstructing the holes, and that it is a manufacturer recognized by the garages.
A diesel engine is not the same as a gasoline engine; the liquids either.
The additives for diesel engines have many benefits, since, in addition to clean the injectors and the feeding system, and restore the original vaporization of the injectors, minimize the ignition delay, increase the cetane index (improving the combustion of diesel fuel ); finally, they facilitate the cold start, decrease the knocking noises and the soot particles. Finally, it reduces the black exhaust fumes, protects the entire feed system against rust and corrosion and compensates for the lack of lubrication in poor sulfur fuels.
The normal dose is the content of one container every 4,000 kilometers; a container of 325 ml. clean up to 70 liters of diesel. In case of doubt, the use is specified in each container.
For gasoline engines are not as necessary or at least, with the same frequency as diesel; the gasoline engines make the explosions stronger and, due to this, the waste is reduced considerably.
The indirect injection cleaning additives reduce deposits that accumulate in the intake valve and seats and recover compression.
Tips for use
1. Fill the entire vehicle fuel tank (this is important to the extent that an excess of cleaning fluid can affect the engine and cause the car to go wrong or stop).
2. Pour an entire bottle of nozzle cleaner into the reservoir.
3. Drive your car normally and do not refuel until the tank is in reserve or almost empty. This measure ensures that an optimal mix is obtained; loading fuel prematurely alters the proportion of the mixture and does not clean the injectors well; In addition, as the tank empties itself of fuel, the cleaner of injectors will be able to also clean the deposits that are in the bottom.
These additives, like most high-power cleaning agents, have almost one hundred percent chemical composition: Morpholine (anticorrosive), Xilene (solvent), Solvent Naphtha (petroleum), Benzene, Propyl Alcohol and Polyeteramine.
They are, due to their high alcohol content, easily inflammable, harmful by inhalation and in contact with the skin; toxic to the eyes and mouth. Be careful in its handling. Put them in the tank keeping your face away and your hands protected.